The Spinning Heart Comparative Study Guide
This 182 page study guide is a companion to 'The Spinning Heart' for the Leaving Cert English Comparative Study, for use in the classroom or for focussed independent study. This guide is intended for both teachers and students.
It contains notes and questions on each Comparative Study mode for each chapter.
It also has additional notes and questions on each comparative mode considering the text as a whole.
Lastly, it has a comparing texts section, looking at comparing Comparative Study texts under each of the comparative study modes.
- Notes and Questions on each mode for each chapter of 'The Spinning Heart'.
- Modes include: Cultural Context/Social Setting, Literary Genre, General Vision and Viewpoint, Relationships and Hero/Heroine/Villain.
- Notes looking at each mode as a whole across the entire text.
- Accompanying questions for each mode.
- Comparing your texts: Questions on each mode to compare 'The Spinning Heart' and your other chosen Comparative Study texts.
This book is a companion guide for teachers teaching both Higher and Ordinary Level students the 'The Spinning Heart' by Donal Ryan, a prescribed comparative study text for the Leaving Cert English examination in 2019 and 2020.
Each chapter contains notes on Cultural Context/Social Setting, Literary Genre, General Vision and Viewpoint, Relationships and Hero/Heroine/Villain, and a set of questions on Cultural Context/Social Setting, Literary Genre, General Vision and Viewpoint, Relationships and Hero/Heroine/Villain. The notes are intended as a starting point for students, to provide something concrete for each mode that can be developed and built on by exploring the relevant mode-based questions for each chapter.
Towards the back of the book, there are short notes looking at each mode as a whole, across the entire novel, and accompanying questions (please note, there may be some similarity with earlier questions to draw attention to key ideas).
Lastly, there is a section of questions on each mode, designed to prompt comparisons between ‘The Spinning Heart’ and other Comparative Study texts, preparing students for the Leaving Certificate exam.